Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer in Utah

What does MY auto insurance do for me when I am in an car accident?

By on Mar 28, 2019 in blog, Car Accidents, Personal Injury |

What does MY auto insurance do for me when I am in an car accident?


If you have the unfortunate circumstance of being in a car accident in Utah, one of the first things you will be asked to show is your auto insurance card or proof of car insurance. It isn’t just illegal to drive a vehicle without auto insurance, it is a bad idea. Auto insurance protects you and those you love if you do happen to be involved in a car crash.


Q: Should I keep a copy of my auto insurance card in my vehicle?

A: Yes. If you do happen to be in a car accident having your auto insurance information nearby will make the whole situation a lot less stressful.


Q: How do I know the amounts my auto insurance covers?

A: On your policy you will see things like “25/65/25” or “Bodily injury liability limits of $25,000 per person, $65,000 per accident”. These are numbers you want to know about if the accident was your fault.

The 25 in the 25/65/25 example and the “bodily injury liability limits of $25,000 per person” listed in the second example mean that your insurance will pay $25,000 for each person that was injured because of your fault in the accident. This money will go towards paying their medical expenses, lost wages, and suffering.

The 65 in the 25/65/25 example and the “$65,000 per accident” in the second example mean that if more than two people were injured in the accident that the most your insurance will cover is $65,000 total. This means that $65,000 will need to be split among all the people involved rather than the insurance paying the per person limit

The last number, 25, of the 25/65/25 refers to the amount that insurance will cover of property damage.

Keep in mind that these limits are for others, including passengers in your vehicle, but not for you. You would only be entitled to the PIP benefits or no-fault benefits to cover medical expenses.


Q: What happens if the costs of the accident exceed what my auto insurance covers?

A: It is possible that you can be sued for the deficiency if you caused the accident. For that reason, it is important to have sufficient auto insurance limits.


Q: Should I notify my insurance if I am in an car accident?

A: Yes. Even if the car accident is not your fault, there are certain benefits you are entitled to, such as personal injury protection benefits.


Q: Does my personal car insurance do anything when I am in an car accident that is not my fault?

A: Yes! Utah law requires that all vehicle insurance policies have PIP coverage. Additionally, many policies also provide property damage coverage.


Q: What is PIP?

A: PIP is an abbreviation used to refer to Personal Injury Protection coverage. Sometimes people call this “no-fault” benefits or insurance.  When you are in a car accident, whether it was your fault of not, PIP coverage is the first thing used to help cover medical expenses.



Q: How much of my medical bills will be paid by my PIP insurance?

A: In Utah insurance providers must provide at least $3,000 of PIP coverage. However, you can typically buy a higher amount of PIP coverage if you would like.


Q: If I use my PIP coverage, will my insurance rates go up?

A: No, they shouldn’t. There is a statue in Utah that says that insurance rates should not be raised if the accident was not your fault.*


Q: How do I access my PIP benefits?

A: To begin using your PIP benefits, you need to report that accident to your insurance company. Then they will typically require you to fill out a PIP Application. You can get this application from your car insurance company.


Having auto insurance is the first step to protecting yourself in case you are in an accident. But just having the auto insurance is not enough. You need to make sure you understand what your insurance covers and also how to access the benefits you should be getting from your insurance when you need to use it.


Feel free to call us if you have any questions about your auto insurance policy. 801-738-9999.


*Please contact for the exact statute language and reference.



Auto Insurance

Auto Insurance