What to Do If Your Dog Bites Someone
So your dog bites someone else in West Valley City or any part of Salt Lake City. It may not seem like a big problem, but it can be very serious. Are you familiar with what you should do after the incident? Most people are unprepared and don’t believe that this will happen to them, but when it does they do all the wrong things. Here are some things you should do:
What to do at the scene of the attack: If your dog bites the victim there are a few things that you should do.
1. Stay calm, don’t argue, and don’t start accusing.
2. Make sure the victim gets medical attention right away. Be considerate.
3. Take the proper steps to make sure a similar incident does not happen again.
5. Provide your name and contact information to the victim.
6. Avoid making any statement
Week of the Attack: If it is possible, keep in contact with the victim and see how their condition is. Show a genuine interest in their well being. Victims will drop the entire case if they know it was a mistake and aren’t hurt too badly. If you pay the victims medial bills or the insurance co-pay, don’t expect your insurance company to reimburse you, because you are responsible for any “voluntary” payments which you may have made.
Report to Your Insurance Company: If you are a renter or a homeowner, get in touch with your insurance agent you may have coverage for dog bites, get in touch with your insurance agent and make the proper report if:
1. The victim is asking for money
2. If you are paying a substantial amount of money to the victim
3. If the bite has severely injured the victim
4. You hear from the police
5.You received a claim from the victim
Make sure you contact your insurance agent to get more information on what coverages you may have.
For more help or tips you should contact a lawyer.