Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer in Utah

What information do I need to fill out an Accident Report?

What information do I need to fill out an Accident Report?

By on Aug 13, 2015 in blog |

car accident reportsCar accident reports can be found at your police department front desk or the front desk of the town hall where your accident occurred. They are also available on the internet at the DMV website. Most insurance companies allow three days to report and file an accident, so you may be able to contact them for the report you need to fill out.

Car accident reports are required in most areas if there has been over $2,000 worth of damages done to one or both vehicles involved. It is suggested to fill out an accident report even if the damage appears minor. There are times where damages don’t surface until later.  If an injury occurred as a result of the accident you are then required to immediately file a traffic accident report so the insurance can contact the injured parties and see if medical attention was required.

Information you are going to need in order to fill out car accident reports:

  • Driver and vehicle information. The report will ask for information on the drivers and vehicles involved in the accident. You will also need vehicle license numbers for each vehicle involved in the accident, as well as the driver’s operator numbers. Write down the name of the insurance company of each party involved and their policy numbers.
  • Witness information. Write the name and contact information of any witnesses to the accident. This includes the police officers who respond to the accident. It is helpful to include the badge numbers from the officers.
  • Photograph the damages. Almost all cell phones today have the capability of taking pictures. Take photos of all the damages as well as the surrounding area. This will be extremely helpful to attach to the report.
  • Document your information. As soon as you are able after the accident, obtain a car accident report and transfer all the information you have collected on to the report. (Keep all original notes as they may come into use if you need to contact an attorney regarding this accident)
  • Submit your report. Submit claim to insurance company and have the police department keep a file of your report with their office.

Contact a personal injury attorney with any questions you have regarding this process.