Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer in Utah

What to do in a Hit-and-Run in Utah in 2023?

By on Dec 8, 2023 in blog, Car Accidents, Personal Injury |

Hit-and-Run in Utah

What to do in a Hit-and-Run in Utah in 2023?

Before we dive into all the intricacies of a hit-and-run accident, let’s discuss a case that happened in our own metroplex a few days ago.


Hit-and-Run Accident in Magna

According to, just two days ago December 6th, a teenage girl was a victim of a hit-and-run in Magna, Utah. Around 6:30am near Matheson Junior High School, this female student was hit by a white Dodge Caravan while crossing a crosswalk with flashing yellow lights. The victim, Kaisley, only remembers coming-to on the sidewalk, but no more details regarding the exact accident.

Eyewitnesses at the scene, remember the flashing lights flashing, discounting the doubt that Kaisley did not wait for her turn to cross the road. Another witness behind the white caravan, remembers seeing a truck veer off the road and then when she pulled up to the scene, she remembers seeing a young girl lying on the ground. The eyewitness called 911 and helped the victim off the street.

The extent of Kaisley’s injuries are still pending, however she seems to have scrapes, bruises and shoulder pain, which can lead to complications in a growing child.

The hit-and-run driver unfortunately fled the scene right away and he/she has still not been identified. The police suspect the cause of the accident was distracted driving , but they hope to know more once the driver is found.

For more information on this case, please visit


What is a Hit-and-Run Accident?

According to Utah State Legislature, a hit-and-run is a type of accident where the perpetrator knowingly hits someone else and leaves the scene without stopping or helping the victim.

On the reverse side, when two people are involved in an accident, drivers must provide each other with their contact information and insurance. Additionally, if there are major injuries or death as a result, or property damage is significant and appears to be more than $2500, the police must be contacted.

Without any injuries, the act of leaving the scene of an accident after there is property damage involved is considered a misdemeanor. If there are injuries or death involved, this act can be deemed a felony with significant jail time and monetary penalties.


So What to do When Hadling a Hit-and-Run?

According to an article written by State Farm, a major American insurance carrier, there are some key steps on what to do during a hit-and-run situation.

  • First, like we mentioned above, call 911 if there are injuries or significant property damage.
  • Second, try and get as much information about the other party as possible. We know in a hit-and-run the other driver takes off. But any information is helpful. Attempt to grab the license plate, and the other vehicles’ color, make, and model.
    • Also take photos and document details of the accident (ie: date and time) and the damage to your vehicle.
  • Third, be prompt when calling the police and your insurance company. The more information you provide early in your case, the quicker the other driver might be found.
  • Fourth, if there were any witnesses around during the accident, try to reach out and speak to them to see if they can provide any extra details of the accident.

Here is the link to the article by State Farm Insurance:

As far as what not to do; do NOT follow the other driver. Why you may ask?

If you leave the scene, you won’t be able to obtain useful information like mentioned above that can help your case. Also, in order for the police to obtain the most accurate account of the accident and who is at fault, it is better if you remain at the scene. And finally, by following the vehicle, you are putting yourself at risk of another accident in following the vehicle fleeing the scene. Also, the other driver could be a dangerous person.


How Does my Car Insurance Work with a Hit-and Run Accident?

Regarding your insurance policy there are two types of coverage that can help.

Property Damage

If you suffered property damage as a result of a hit-and-run, you may use your collision or property damage coverage of your insurance to repair your vehicle if you have full coverage or vehicle damage coverage. One thing to keep in mind is, you will likely have to cover your deductible if you file a claim with your insurance. However, if later in your case, the other hit-and-run driver is identified, you may be able to recover your deductible and file a claim against the other parties insurance at this point. This is where having a personal injury attorney can be helpful in guiding you if this situation arises.

Personal Injury

If you’re injured as a result of a hit-and-run, your uninsured motorist coverage can help in covering medical expenses and lost wages. Uninsured motorist coverage can be used when you don’t know the who the other driver is, like in these cases, or if the driver at fault has no insurance. There are certain evidentiary requirements and this coverage can be waived in Utah.

My recommendation is to try to have full coverage on your vehicle or at least add uninsured motorist coverage for both injury and property damage to your policy as it can be of great assistance in these unknown situations.

A final note is you are also eligible to use your PIP (Personal Injury Protection) insurance in this situation as it is know as no-fault coverage.

For more information regarding your specific coverage please contact your insurance company or feel free to reach out to us. And for more details and recommendations from State Farm, please follow this link State Farm.

Contact us at Symco Injury Law!

We know all car accidents can be very stressful and traumatic, especially these hit-and-run situations where you don’t expect another driver to disappear after causing an accident. If you suffer any injuries from this type of car accident, please don’t hesitate to call or text us. We, at Symco Injury Law, have years of extensive experience and are here to help you 24/7. Contact Us.