What Is Your Wrongful Death Case Worth?
Losing a loved one is a traumatic experience that no one should have to go through. Unfortunately, death is a part of life and we are forced to cope with it. Dealing with a the loss of a loved one due to the negligence of others is a tough situation to be in, but you should be aware that our experienced wrongful death lawyers can get you compensation to cover many damages stemming from the accident. Although, money could never replace the relationship you had with the loved one, there are several different damages that can be awarded to help make your financial situation a little easier. These damages typically fall into one of three categories:
- The first category consists of the recovery of damages from the time of the accident to the time of death. Damages may include:
- Medical expenses
- The deceased persons suffering
- Lost wages
- Funeral and burial expenses
- The second category covers losses experienced by the family after the time of death. This aims to help family survivors financially due to the loss of earnings of the deceased, and usually covers from the time of death to the anticipated time of retirement.
- A third category is often applicable as well and is referred to as the “loss of consortium” or loss of companionship. This gives compensation based on the deprivation of love and companionship of the deceased. This third category is very significant in wrongful death cases where a parent dies and leaves behind children who will lose the parental guidance. The Utah Code for Consortium between husband and wife also states that a spouse can seek damages as well.
If you have a valid case and plan to seek compensation, the amount a wrongful death lawyer can get you will be based upon a few different factors regarding the deceased party. Factors include:
- Health and life expectancy
- Employment and ability to work
- Marital status
- If they had minor dependents
- Cost of medical bills
- Cost of funeral
- Pain and suffering
Wrongful death cases can be very stressful and emotionally straining. It is important to have a wrongful death lawyer protecting your interests to make the process flow as smoothly as possible. It is likely you have many questions, and we at Symco Injury Law want to ensure you are as comfortable as possible in this difficult time. Our offices are located in the greater Salt Lake City area, but whether you live in Ogden or Provo one of our wrongful death lawyers is willing to meet with you at your home. Call us today at 801-738-9999 for a free consultation regarding your wrongful death case.